Howdy! How can we help you?
1. Short title.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS PART I
Short title and interpretation
Constitution and employment of the force
3. Establishment of Police Force.
4. General duties of the police.
5. Constitution of the Force.
6. Command of the Force.
7. Duties of the Deputy Inspector-General of Police.
8. Duties of an Assistant Inspector-General.
9. Establishment of the Nigeria Police Council.
10. Public safety and public order.
11. Delegation by Inspector-General.
12. Command of police in case of active service.
General administration Oaths for officers
13. Oaths to be taken by officers on appointment.
Enlistment and service
15. Extension of term of enlistment in special cases.
Supernumerary police officers
18. Appointment of supernumerary police officers to protect property.
19. Appointment of supernumerary police officers for employment on administrative duties on police premises.
20. Appointment of supernumerary police officers where necessary in the public interest.
21. Appointment of supernumerary police for attachment as orderlies.
22. Provisions supplementary to sections 18 to 21.
P ART IV
Powers of po lice officers
23. Conduct of prosecutions.
24. Power to arrest without warrant.
25. Power to arrest without having warrant in possession.
27. Bail of person arrested without warrant.
28. Power to search.
29. Power to detain and search suspected persons.
30. Power to take fingerprints.
P ART V
Property unclaimed, found or otherwise
31. Court may make orders with respect to property in possession of police.
32. Perishable articles.
33. The Police Reward Fund.
34. Crying down credit.
35. Pay of constables not to be withheld for debt: exception.
36. Police officers not to engage in any private business.
P ART VII
38. Apprehension of deserters.
39. Assault on police officer.
40. Refusing to aid police officer assaulted. 41 . Harbouring constable.
41. Personation of police officer.
42. Obtaining admission into Force by fraud.
43. Ordinary course of law not to be interfered with.
44. Persons acquitted by court not punishable on same charge under this Act, nor if convicted, except by reduction.
P ART VIII
Regulations and standing orders
46. Power to make regulations .
47. Standing orders.
48. Application of Act to persons already serving.
49. The Nigerian Special Constabulary.
50. Appointment of special constables in normal circumstances.
51. Resignation, suspension and dismissal of constables appointed under section 50.
52. Appointment of emergency special constables.
53. Provisions supplementary to section 52.
55. Instruction of special constables.
56. Allowances, pensions, etc.
58. Repeal and transitional provisions.
Traffic warden service
59. Establishment of the Traffic Warden Service.
60. Appointment of the traffic wardens.
61. Period of service.
62. Powers, etc., of a traftic warden.
63. Certificate of appointment and of discharge.
64. Ranks of traffic wardens.
67. Provision of equipment.
68. Delegation of powers by Inspector-General.
69. Instruction of traffic warden, etc.
For full law download PDF, click the button below